A Special Scout's Diary

Dean R Lycas, of Troop 17 of the US Contingent, was the 16-year old Eagle Scout who, during the Closing Ceremony, received the Marathon Kylix (flame torch) to be rekindled at the 12th World Jamboree, in 1967 in the United States. Dean, whose both parents are of Greek origin, was with the Transatlantic Council for American boys of military and diplomatic families stationed in Europe. Dean also played a key role in Paramount's "Higher and Wider" film, the Jamboree movie. He was kind to share with us his personal Jamboree diary, full of unique moments from his youth days at Marathon.

September 1963

Dear Everyone;

Thanks for the money I received it just before I left for Greece. I left Augsburg bright and early on the 27th of July for my Pre­Camp at Frankfurt. One of Daddy's friends picked me up there and took me to his house for lunch. It was delicious. He then drove me out to the airport where the Pre-Camp was being held. We got buzzed by almost every jet going and coming. The weather was real nice; except on the day we left, it rained.

The patrol I was in was naturally the best. We took first place in volleyball, flagpole-raising and chariot-racing. They were the only events we competed in. We were the "Eager" Beavers and darn proud of it. The main idea of the Pre-Camp was to get the patrol functioning as a whole, get an idea of what the jamboree would be like, and learn to say please and thank you in Greek.

We ate supper in the mess hall the first evening and lunch and breakfast the last day. About the only thing you could say was that you didn't have to cook it. The only other time we went on post was Sunday for church and the last afternoon for hair-cuts. You were supposed to get a haircut no matter when your last one was. One guy didn't, but we fixed him. We gave him a hair-cut exactly opposite of that of a monk. Instead of a ring of hair, he had ring of no hair. It was really something.

In my patrol we had a boy from Turkey, a boy from Spain, a boy from France, and five from Germany. It made for a close group.

We flew by a 720 B Lufthansa jet to Greece. We stopped in Munich, Germany for about an hour. Then we flew to Athens. We had a snack between Munich and Athens. It was pretty good. We flew over Switzerland, Italy and across the Adriatic to Greece. It took us 3 ½ hours to fly to Greece and 4½ hours to get from Athens to Marathon. We were driven through Athens. I saw the Acropolis all lit up. It looked real impressive.

~ Click to read more ~

We arrived at our camp site at about 10 P.M. We handed out tents and other patrol equipment. We went to the commissary tent and got our staples. We also received a table and 2 benches for each patrol and a large kitchen fly. All our water we got in bottles from the commissary. That night we put up our tents and everyone had a peach and a couple slices of bread. We hit the sack at 1 in the morning.

Everyone was up at 6:30. We picked up the breakfast rations at 7:00; we found out we were a half-hour late. We cooked breakfast washed the dishes then straightened up the camp. All the tents were taken down and correctly lined up. That shot the morning.

We picked up lunch rations at 9:30 and dinner at 4:30. All of our meals were cooked by us. We had dishes from several different countries. They also supplied cookbooks, so we could prepare them. We used small barbecue pits instead of the brittle clay pots supplied by the Greeks. You had to pay $ 2 if you broke one and almost everyone did. That evening I represented my sub-camp in the opening ceremony. The ceremony opened with the blowing of the Kudu Horn. The kylix (jamboree torch) was lit and fires in front of each past jamboree Mondial were lit by a boy from the country it was held in. Then a Philippine Scout gave the kylix to Prince Constantine who lit the fire in front of the present mondial. He then gave a speech, then the camp director. A boy from each sub-camp then ran up and lit his torch, then ran back and passed it among the boys of his sub-camp who were seated behind him.

The next day, the 2d of August, I ate supper with a British Patrol in an exchange visit.

An award was given for doing five of the following:

1. Eat as a guest of a Patrol from a different country.
2. Go swimming 5 times in the Bay of Marathon.
3. Visit the Exhibition Stands.
4. Participate in the wide game.
5. Meet the requirements in the Triathlon.
6. Compete in the Labors of Hercules.
7. Give a demonstration in the Talent-O-Rama.
8. Compete in the Field Sports.

I did get the award. It really wasn't hard. I also went swimming on the 2d, it was real refreshing! The water was so blue and a person just couldn't sink in that salt water.

They had a shark net, but a shark had never been seen in the bay. The beach was really something. We were only allowed to swim one hour a day, because 14,000 boys had to use the beach.

On the morning of the third they had a game they called the wide game. The camp was made up of 11 sub-camps. Each sub-camp had its color and number. The idea was to get one boy from each sub-camp and the 11 being of eleven different nationalities. You were given a card with a letter on the back. When you stood in order it would be the word the runner said when he entered Athens. It was mass hysteria with boys running all over. After a while we linked arms to keep from getting separated.

After it was over we went to the Exhibitions stands. Some countries really put a lot into them. They showed products from the country and pictures of the people in their different dress. Ours was made up of all the scout and scouters badges. You could also listen to Baden Powell's voice. There were also shops there, where you could buy things. On the 4th nothing exceptional happened. It was Sunday so I went to the Protestant service because I didn't know where the Orthodox was being held.

On the morning of the 5th the Triathlon was held. I ran the 80 meter dash in 10.8 sec. I didn't have anyone to run against. I jumped 4.80 meters in the board jump. I really surprised myself. I qualified in the first two with room to spare, but I missed the staff throw by an inch. I was fast enough to run with the 20 man relay team representing our sub-camp at the finale. We lost because the baton was dropped 4 times. We just didn't have time to practice. The finals were held at night so it was difficult to see. In the afternoon my patrol participated in the field sports.

On the morning of the 6th my patrol went through the labors of hercules. It was easy. We had to vault over a pole using one hand, walk the edge of a plank, go over a 5 foot wall, swing across a pit, roll a log through a course and go through some tires.

In the afternoon we lined up eight abreast and marched past the King of Greece. Afterwards we made a human pillar three boys high.

In the evening we had to station guards every night around our camp. After the first night 89 cameras were stolen. On the last two nights of the jamboree we posted double guards.

On the 7th, half of the troop went to Athens to put on the big arena show. The others stayed back and got to eat twice as much.

On the 8th the sea scouts gave a display. The King and Queen of Greece were present.

On the 9th the United States gave their arena show that evening. It really wasn't much. The Indian dancing kept it from being a big flop.

On the morning of the 10th Papou's sister and husband visited my camp. Through an interpreter they explained that she was your sister. They wondered why I didn't speak Greek. They had the picture taken of me when I was in Texas all decked out in my cowboy outfit. They gave me two boxes of Turkish Delight I think its called. Its real good. They also gave me some mandels from Papou’s farm in Crete. I hoped to send you some. I took some pichtres of them. I hope they turn out. Papou’s sister gave me a couple of pictures of her; they're enclosed. She patted me on the back and smiled. They could only stay a few minutes, and I was free the rest of the day. They said they would come tomorrow.

That afternoon my troop was in the Talent-O-Rama. My patrol put on a display of fire by friction and flint and steel. Almost all our efforts ended in success. When I was working on one, a scout from Sweden gave me a box of matches with “Greeting from the Boy Scouts of Sweden” written on it. That evening we had our last sub-camp fire. For the closing we lit candles and sang "Auld Lang Syne" then threw the candles into the fire. It was real impressive. On the morning of the 11th I went to a Greek Orthodox service with a Greek scout. It was real good. There were a Greek and American priest giving the service. A small altar was built out of poles and mating and it looked real impressive. They also had a choir of about thirty boys which sang through the service. The service lasted about an hour and was over. They handed out bread at the end of it.

I got back just in time to get to the arena show practice. One of the boys told me I was to receive the lit torch from the Prince. We were finished by lunch. While I was eating lunch guess who popped up? Papous sister and brother with two of my cousins, Eulandia, a girl my age, and George, a boy Becky's. The guys went wild and kidded me about her the rest of the time. They said that they would be waiting outside the camp for me. I finished eating as quickly as possible and went to meet them with my cameras. We had a limonade and talked. Papou's sister introduced me to everyone with the help of one of the people working behind the stand. She introduced me to Papou's brother and his wife, Eulandia and George. We then walked down the road towards the entrance. We stopped at a restaurant, and they got something to eat. The restaurant was there for the sole purpose of feeding the staff members. They brought out fried chicken with tomatoes and cucumbers and a couple bottles of water. Towards the end of the camp we could drink the water because it had enough chlorine in it, but it tasted terrible.

The elders talked with the other people and I talked with Eulandia. She was the only one who spoke any English and that was very little. She told me about her six year high school and how she was interested in Chemistry. She plans to come to America when she's finished with school. Eulandia doesn't like chicken so she didn't eat. We had peaches for desert, and they always peel their peaches. Back at camp we just rinsed them off.

I asked them if they could come to the arena show that evening. They couldn't make it. After they finished their meal I walked down to the entrance with them. I took pictures of them in front of the entrance. They wanted me to come to their house on Monday, our so called free day. I wasn’t able to make it because the day wasn't free. We said our good byes and I promised to write Eulandia.

That evening we went to the arena for the closing ceremony. My troop, number 17, and 16 were participating in the ceremony. The ceremony was opened with the sound of the Scottish bagpipes. The Belgian drums announced the arrival of Crown Prince Constantine. The flags of the participating nations were then carried into the arena followed by the shield bearers who lined up in front of the flags. Lady Baden Powell, Lord Baden Powell's wife, then gave a speech. Baden Powell founded Boy Scouts. The Prince then gave a speech, and the jamboree song was played. Then a scout from each country entered and lined up to form a fleur-de-lys. USA boy scouts then entered in three ranks of six from two sides and formed on either side of the fleur-de-lys. Then my two guards and I entered. We walked straight through the fleur-de-lys to the Prince. He lit the torch then shook hands with me and my two guards. He handed me the torch, we saluted and made an about face walking to our positions in the middle of the fleur-de-lys.

The Kudu horn was then blown, and one scout from each nation entered and formed a ring of friendship around the fleur-de-lys. We all sang the jamboree song to the lowering of the jamboree flag. “Auld Lang Syne” and “Taps” were then sung.

Then my honor guard and I left with the other thirty-six American scouts falling in behind. We then broke into the jamboree song. When we were about half way down the road to our camp the Prince drove by waving; wished us good luck and hoped to see us in the United States.

Then with the senior patrol leader carrying the flag, the four patrol leaders in front and their assistance in back of me we marched to the American Headquarters, presented the torch to the leaders. It will be placed in the Boy Scout Museum at New Brunswick, N.Y.

On the 12th of August we checked out of camp and into the Greek naval academy. In the morning we took down all our tents, our gateway, packed our packs and loaded it all into trucks. We got in a bus and took our packs to the naval academy. We then went to the snack bar for lunch. There is an American Army Base at Athens and a snack bar is like a restaurant.

When we were in Athens, we ate all of our meals at the snack bar.

On the 13th we took tours of Greece. We left Athens and went to the canal at Korinthos. It was cut out of solid rock and is about a mile long. Standing on the bridge, it's about one hundred yards down to the water level. The water is real blue. From there we went on to Mikinai and Nauplion. The road was lined with grape vineyards. Their vines weren’t in long rows like ours, but were in small single clumps that looked like bushes. The land was dry because it hadn't rained in three months.

At Nauplion we had lunch which consisted of a large plate of spaghetti with another plate of chicken, ocra, tomatoes and cucumber. For desert we were given peaches. From Nauplion we went to Epidhavros. There was an open-air theater there which was in real good condition. We went into an interesting museum which was there. There were medical instruments, busts of different Greeks and pieces of architecture. We then went back to Athens. Between Athens and Corinth the road is right next to the water most of the way. That is to say if you went off of the road it would be about fifty feet down to the water. With the way the Greeks drive, it was quite a ride.

On the morning of the 14th, we went to the Temple of Zeus, the Royal Palace and the Acropolis. The Temple of Zeus is almost totally destroyed except for a few columns. At the Royal Palace we saw the changing of the guards.I took movies of the whole thing. I hope they turn out.

From the temple we went to the Acropolis. Wow! is that something. It's everything and more than is said about it. On the Acropolis all the grounds are covered with a layer of rock. The steps at the gateway are well worn and real slick. There are several structures still standing including the Parthenon which is the main attraction. Across from the Parthenon stand the six maidens holding up the roof. The entrance way is the only other structure still standing. It's made up almost completely of marble columns. There are two amphitheaters at the base of the Acropolis. One of which was being set up for the Athens festivals. Between the theater excavating is being down and all sorts of objects are being dug up.

Over an one side of the Acropolis they are forming slabs of marble. I don't know whether they are going to rebuild the Acropolis or what. They bring the marble up from the base of the Acropolis, roll it to where they're working and chip away at it with a hammer and chisel. It is really an impressive process. The marble they use, is taken from the same place as the original marble was. Our guide told us that all the temples were in real good condition before the Turks invaded. They tore everything up. We were only allowed two hours there which really isn't much time.

From the Acropolis we went to the airport and checked our luggage. We were processed through customs and then went to the plane. Coming back by jet we flow over Venice, and the Grand Canal looked sharp from the air. We had a 15 minute lay over at Zurich, Switzerland and then flew to Frankfurt, Germany were we got off. Once we got inside the air terminal and had our baggage, the scoutmaster said good­bye and wished us all good luck. Ray Elliot, a, friend of mine from Munich, went to the Frankfurt train station.

It was 6 o’clock and our train wasn’t in yet but was due to leave at 6:11 PM. We went to a restaurant at the station, ate a hot dog, and were back in 8 minutes. The train had been and gone. The next one didn’t leave till 11:33. So we went and checked our baggage and walked around Frankfurt. At 11 we came back, got our baggage and went to the track. The train was there so we got our tickets punched and got on the train. We were in our uniform the whole time. We found a nice compartment and made ourselves at home.

While we were sitting there, a German stuck his head in and asked us where we were going. We told him Munich, he asked us if his girlfriend could join us since she was traveling all alone. We consented and so a third party joined us. We talked a while then found out that she was going to visit her aunt in Munich. We all went to sleep, and I woke at 5 in the morning to get off the train at Augsburg. I caught a taxi and was home.

The eighteen days sure went fast, but it was well worth it.



Birth of the Marathon Jamboree

I suppose unthinking people imagine that all that is necessary for a Jamboree is to choose the site, fix the dates and send out the invitations. But a Jamboree in the world of today is not just a Scout camp. It requires a great deal of planning and organisation, which is a many-sided affair, and, for the host country, a tremendous responsibility to make sure that those who come from other lands will have a truly memorable experience and that everything reasonable will be done for their comfort and their well-being.

I have just spent a week in Athens and I have been privileged to sec the organisation in action. I must say, I’m most impressed: first by the enthusiasm of those who have the task of making the preparations, inspired as they are by the tremendous interest and helpful advice stemming from their Chief Scout, the young Crown Prince of Greece, who will personally open and close the Jamboree and will be at the camp with us practically throughout. Secondly, by the sheer quantity of work that they are undertaking and thirdly by the wonderful support that is being given to the Jamboree by the Royal Family, by the Government and by the Services. Fourthly, by the thoroughness with which every aspect of the Jamboree is being considered, and perhaps in a very special way I am impressed by the way in which Greek Scouting obviously wants the whole world to share not only in the enjoyment of the Jamboree but in its planning.

~ Click to read more ~

This Jamboree is unusual in several respects. Marathon, apart from being a very beautiful place, undoubtedly provides the finest natural swimming facilities that any Jamboree has ever had. Almost three miles of beach, lapped by the warm waters of the Aegean - a gently shelving beach that will delight the swimmer and present no problems to the non-swimmer.

The site itself, unusual for a Jamboree, is level-ground, ground that is completely uninterrupted so that the Jamboree camp will be compact and distances between one point and another the least possible.

I toured the site with the Jamboree Camp Chief and the Army Major in charge of the engineering. Greece, like the whole of Europe has suffered bad weather this winter, which has held up progress but as the engineer is confident that he will meet the deadline, there is no reason for anyone to doubt completion in good time. Smilingly, he told me that "two weeks ago they were four weeks behind, and now they are only two weeks behind".

Another way in which this 11th World Jamboree is unusual is in having a truly international staff, and except, in very minor ways, this has never been previously attempted. Indeed, there are almost as many foreigners concerned with the running of the Jamboree as there are Scouters from Greece.

The programme strikes me as being fuller, more varied and more concerned with real Scouting than that of any previous effort. I like particularly the Laurel Award, the Talent-O-Rama (Scout-O-Rama) and the Labours of Hercules. The spreading of the large contingents through the whole of the camp - that too appeals to my idea of how a Jamboree should be run. The feeding and cooking arrangements are under splendid control. The Jamboree Song is eminently singable. In fact, so far as I can see, everything has been thought through with a degree of imagination and a real concern for the spread of understanding amongst the nations of the world.

The principles of Scouting will be most in evidence for meticulous arrangements are being made for the fulfillment of religious obligations. A special day will be dedicated to “the good turn”, when the proceeds from a great arena display in Athens will be handed to Her Majesty the Queen for the benefit of Greek students, to help them study abroad. And all this is being achieved by a country where the Scout movement in point of numbers is not very large, where the amount of full-time professional help is minimum and where, therefore, a team of enthusiastic, quietly confident volunteers have undertaken this immense task not for personal gain or glory but because they believe this is something that should be done for World Scouting.

Yes I am truly and gratefully impressed and I hope every Scout who ultimately enjoys the fruits of the labours of the Organising Committee which, truth to tell, make even the labours of Hercules seem rather slight, will give a thought to the work that has been done and will come to Marathon not just to enjoy but to contribute to the spread of understanding that the Jamboree is designed to promote. Marathon in ancient and modern history is a name known throughout the world, and Scouting is about to give it added significance and an extra dimension.

May 1963

International Staff

The Eleventh World Jamboree at Marathon showed a development in as much as a very worthy attempt was made to have an International Staff instead of the previous National ones. It is true that in previous Jamborees Scouters from other than the Host Country were brought in to help (I myself was thus privileged at the Second Jamboree near Copenhagen in 1924) but they were only a very small number.

At Marathon there were "Foreign" Sub-Camp Chiefs, Special Consultants and others on the Jamboree Headquarters Staff as well as in the Sub-Camp Staffs. Speaking generally this experiment was a success, but it did tend to create some difficulties owing to an ignorance of Greek customs and conditions, as well as the language problem.

Perhaps the best example of the workings of the Scout United Nations was in the International Service Troop composed of Rovers and Scouters of many different nationalities, but eventually all working together as one united whole. I would pay a tribute to the Indian Scouter, Jamini Sarkar, who was appointed to head up this Troop. He showed the necessary understanding and diplomacy that must be exercised in any Scout Troop in any country if it is to be a success and be an example of the real Scout spirit.

I believe that some modification of the experiment is called for in the future, but an example has been set and it is to the great credit of the Jamboree Camp Chief, Rann Alexatos, that he not only conceived the idea but carried it through under difficulties. I know something of these as I was privileged to do my best to look after him throughout the Jamboree and to safeguard him from too many questions and interruptions by those who were not so good at accepting responsibility for carrying out their own duties.

But the final conclusion is that the Eleventh Jamboree was in its conduct, its activities and its results truly an INTERNATIONAL JAMBOREE.

A message from the Director. And another from just a scout.

The Forgotten 90th Contingent in the Jamboree
A special note by a Non-Scout (V.P.W.)

According to the records, there were 89 participating countries at the Marathon Jamboree. This small memorial is dedicated to the 90th, to the forgotten contingent.

Its participants, coming mainly from Greece but also from various other parts of the world, were the wolves among the flock, the non-Scouts at the XI World Jamboree. Who were these intruders at the sacred rites of Jamboree, these silent observes of the ritual of Camp Fire, these motley individuals stealing down to the sea at the rising of the sun and during the heat of the afternoon when honest Scouts and Scouters were sleeping softly?

They were of two categories. Fighting men and civilians.

The soldiers, sailors, airmen, police and firemen were carrying out such variegated duties as delivery of foodstuffs, life-guarding, weather forecasting (no strenuous duty, one imagines, at Marathon; we ourselves are quite ready to hazard a forecast for the first ten days of August 1970 - or 2070 for that matter), gate duty, and the normal work of police or firemen in any city, brick, wood, mud, wattle and daub or canvas. The Fire Service even had a fire to put out towards the end of the Jamboree.

~ Click to read more ~

The Armed Forces were at the Jamboree by order. And generally the Jamboree was a better place than anywhere else they could reasonably have expected to find themselves. The food was better, and there was more of it. The work was less, and the discipline was more relaxed. It was a very pleasant change from an army camp or barracks.

The civilians were at the Jamboree for pay. They should have been softies, crying for their ice-cream and veal chops grilled to order.

Instead it was standing joke among the 90th contingent that, judging from appearances they were having a far better time than many of the Scouters. That may not have been true, but certainly there were fewer glum faces, and fewer nervous crises, among the non-Scouts than among the Scouters.

The Scouters had come with a knowledge of previous camp sites, and suffered because of that knowledge. The non-Scouts had come with no knowledge of any Jamboree, and, like children after their first day at school, were able to assure all and sundry that things were not half so bad as they expected them to be.

One of the visiting Scout medical officers waxed most indignant about the toilets. He had it in writing that flush toilets were being installed. He took it up with the man who sent him the letter. “But they are flush toilets”, he was told. “Flush to the ground”. Non-Scouts were delighted to find toilets existed at all.

Scouters tended to make sad little jokes about the wind. Non-Scouts found it alone kept them cool enough to work.

Warm water for washing worried the Scouters. Lack of water for washing has never yet worried a non-Scout.

"Too much macaroni", cried the Scouters. “Thank God we don’t get macaroni every meal”, flakes echoed non-Scouts.

“Imagine putting fried sausage on top of corn-flakes,” expostulated the Scouter. “Do you remember the last time you had both sausage and cornflakes at the same meal?” the non-Scouts asked one another in wonder, licking their lips and reaching for the marmalade to add a dab to the top of the pile.

“Wonder if this milk’s really fresh”? mused the sophisticated Scouter. “Wish we had milk like this in Greece”, said the non-Scout to himself.

It must, however, be admitted that not all the non-Scouts embraced camp-life with equal facility. Even the 90th contingent had its black sheep. Like the French secretary who blew up halfway through the Jamboree. “Thees ees not my affir. I am seeek! Seeek!” she cried, storming through the main gates.

On the whole, though, the pariahs of Marathon enjoyed themselves hugely. For one very simple reason. So many of the Scouters had been to previous Jamborees and could expect to go to others in the future - just as the young Scout could expect, if he stayed in the movement and became a Scouter, to experience other Jamborees in future years. So they tended to be a little French about it all.

But for the non-Scouts it was a once and only experience. And savoured all the more for that reason.

To end on a personal note, many of us were most impressed by the politeness of the Scouters we met.

Either they waited to see which hand we offered, or they extended both, to give us a choice.

Except for one really Big Chief, of whom we fell foul just after we had galloped across the Jamboree site in a duststorm. He cast one glance at us, apparently decided that such an apparition could never be a Scout, and firmly pushed out his right hand.

One of the rare occasions when a member of the 90th contingent felt a stateless person.

Running in all directions!

A short and funny moment by Kyriacos Cameris, member of the EST, submitted on August 1st, 2013

I was a member of the Emergency Service Troop of the Jamboree and I was not aware of the scout programme between the contingents, so when I woke up the first day I saw all the scouts running because they were playing a game trying to find friends from other countries (Wide Game). But because I did not know at that time what they were doing, I also started running in all directions. I only stopped after a long time, when I was exhausted.

On a permission from himself

A recollection submitted on August 20th, 2013 by Pantelis Gaganis, 13-year old Scout of the Cecropis sub-camp.

I was 13 at the time. About a week before the Jamboree, we were at Marathon for three days, in order to prepare our campsite. What I do remember since today, is the lack of drinkable water and the thirst we suffered from. The second day, the thirst made me to leave the camp secretly and gather in the enormous plain seeking water. I was lucky to find in the middle of nowhere a forgotten (abandoned??) army water tank full of fresh water.

I returned to my camp, collected all the canteens, went back to the tank and filled them with water. I did the same tour several times, thus having the privilege to drink all the water I wanted. The funny thing is that, although it was prohibited to leave the camp, no one from the scouters (there were four) asked me what I was doing, as everybody thought that it was another scouter that had appointed me to the job.

After the official Jamboree started, there was plenty of water (bottled) for everybody.

Scout jokes

Submitted on September 30th, 2013 by George Glarakis, Greek Scout Staff in the Cecropis sub-camp.

Too many stories to remember from Marathon. One of them is following.

Once I decided to make a fake trumpet (bugle). I used a certain length of hose-pipe and inserted a funnel in the end. I was leaving the funnel (bell) under a table and I was blowing from the other end and everybody was seeking to find where the sound was coming from.


Submitted on October 5th, 2013 by Giovanni Tibaldeschi, a scout with the Italian delegation.

As 13,700 other scouts I was there. 50 Years ago: a life.... Fantastic experience. We were 48 Scouts from Piemonte. We were 3 from the same city and the same "Troop". I continue to be connected with a "big friend" Yiannis Kavadias (Greece) who was there. I met scouts from more that 40 countries.... and I exchanged a lot of "badges", shirts....

Only one remark to the organizers : I did not receive "my personal bronze shield"....

Warm regards


Representing Venice, Italy

Submitted on October 19th, 2013 by Alvise Simonato, of the Italian contingent.

I was the only participant from Venice, and for the whole time of the trip (ship, train, bus and back...) and of the Jamboree I carried an enormous 70x100 cm2 wood panel with the image of St. Mark's winged lion, that I had painted for the italian exhibition "Regioni". Yet I preserve the photo of it, to date.

With the American Transatlantic Council

Submitted on December 10th, 2013 by Peter Kent Dolezal, an american scout in Ankara, Turkey.

I was nominated by my troop in Ankara, Turkey, as a candidate to participate as a member of Troop 17, representing The Transatlantic Council of the Boy Scouts of America. Before my selection letter arrived, I was diagnosed as Type I Diabetic with Insulin dependency each day. My Air Force physician approved my attendance at this event. Besides the excitement of meeting Scouts from all over the world, I enjoyed trading patches, neckerchiefs and one of my uniform shirts. I traded with a Belgian Scout. I met our Troop Leader in the Pentagon in 1972 or 3. He was a 3-star General by then.

It got done, and right away.
Submitted on March 17th, 2014 by Donald Lavers of the Canadian contingent.

It was unbelievable to see that much strength together in one place. We had all been through all the ropes anyone could put in front of us. When we were asked to do something, no one had to check if we knew how to do it, we all knew how to do it, so it didn't matter who you asked, it got done, and right away. I think of all the experiences I took away from the Jamboree, and that was the biggest by far.

Marathon memories
Submitted on March 24th, 2014 by Bob Norton of the Canadian contingent.

A few things stand out in my memory from Marathon. We flew from Montreal, Canada on an Air France charter. The pilot told us all to sit down as we were running up the aisles causing the plane to climb and dip. The multi faith church services in the pine trees along the sea shore were special. If only the whole world could live like that. The showers were cold but the sun was warm and we had lots of drinking water. I had my first beef wrap I puchased from a vendor on the Jamboree grounds. We were invited for snacks by the troop from Greece camping next to our troop and I had my first "taste" of Ouzo. I have enjoyed it many times since. After the Jamboree, we toured Greece including a visit to the Parthenon. I was in Athens last year but one's first visit to the Parthenon is special.

"The greatest days of my life"
Submitted on April 18th, 2014 by Anthony Tidman of the United Kingdom contingent.

The first few days of pandemonium: a different culture, queuing to get the patrols rations, one bank for the whole contingent to get money, the clay fires that exploded, the toilets, then the highlights: fire watch at night, sitting up with the Austrian contingent who fed us with ryvita and cheese, the Canadians who fed us with salads, we had brought no rations with us and relied on what the Greeks provided for our food.

The friendship between nations was fantastic and for many years I kept in touch with a Canadian Bob French.

With hindsight I could write a book on my time in Marathon the greatest days of my life.

Submitted on July 17th, 2014 by Dr Peter Elliott MBE with the UK contingent.

When the crown prince was looking round the site, one of his entourage put his foot down our wet pit! I remember the clay burners which cracked and broke, so had to be plastered with mud. We had about 2 minutes of rain the whole time, which sparked off a massive sub-camp water fight.

"An extraordinary experience"
Submitted on October 2nd, 2014 by David Robie of the Aotearoa/New Zealand contingent.

As a Queen's Scout from Eastbourne, near Wellington, I was a member of the New Zealand contingent set-up with a traditional marae style camp. It was an extraordinary experience and led me visiting Greece some years later and also living in Paris, France, for a period (a direct result of the jamboree and contacts that I had made who encouraged me into moving from my career in forestry into international journalism). It was a privilege to be in Greece at that time and I cherish an image that I have of being dressed in a piupiu for a traditional kapa haka welcome for Crown Prince Constantine. I wrote about the jamboree in a chapter in my recent book "Don't Spoil My Beautiful Face: Media, Mayhem and Human Rights in the Pacific" (Little Island Press)

The only Scout from South Yorkshire
Submitted on September 9th, 2015 by Davis Morris with the UK contingent.

Aged 13 and the only Scout from South Yorkshire all the rest were Senior Scouts, I had a great time but was told off by the chief Scout Charles Maclean, I was taking a video of him leaving our camp but was on my knees, he said you don't take photo's of a Scotsman in a kilt on your knees.

From California, on tour of Europe
Submitted on October 13th, 2015 by Duff Johnson.

We were a group of Scouts from California on tour of Europe with the Jamboree as our ultimate destination. We took a bus to Marathon and, as I recall, did not stay on the grounds, although I have vivid memories of the in-tent hospitality and trading experiences with other Scouts from Japan, Greece, Austria, and Germany. As I write this note, the medallions I traded for are resting near my elbow. I would like to share memories and photos with others from nt.

Changing the world for a better place...
Submitted on July 13th, 2015 by Andrew Yarrow with the UK contingent, also contributor of a magnificent color photo album.

I was one of 2 sea scouts from the 20th Harrogate troop (the taller one in the photo – the other was called Russell Betts with whom I have just reunited after many years). It was very exciting for 2 young men then to travel to a foreign country or even to fly in the BOAC flight with food and a glass of champagne! All new experiences. I remember the heat on arrival even though it was evening and because our baggage had been delayed we had to sleep out in the open for the first night. There was a 2 and 1/2 hour wait for the opening ceremony in the main arena which was opened by the then Crown Prince Constantine. I was in Drake Patrol sub camp Aegis, site 24. Swimming in the sea was great but there had been some sharks around so there was a net round where we swam and greek naval boats patrolled the area.

The heat was strange to us but there was quite a wind which helped to cool us. There was a lot of emphasis on meeting scouts from other countries, swapping badges and having them round for dinner. We all got involved with the Labours of Hercules, different athletic tasks which if you completed you got a jamboree certificate. I being red-headed had to be particularly careful not to get burned. I have a note that the temperature was getting hotter and on Friday the 9th it was 104°F (40°C) at 09.30 am!

I was a Queens Scout so did attend the World Conclave but do not recall what other countries had as their top badge. As a large contingent we had several group in the Talent-O-Rama display which all had to do with what Great Britain gave the world. Myself and another boy were on a stage pretending to play golf hitting an imaginary ball and falling down as if hit by the ball - apparently we got quite a laugh!

After the jamboree, our troop from North and West Yorkshire visited Athens and Nafplio. Four days of sightseeing before flying home. I went off to university and in hindsight sadly gave up my scouting and really did not keep in touch with the friends I had made through the scouting. Perhaps if we had all done so, we might have been more influential in changing the world for a better place with some of the scouting ideals but that's just the meanderings of an old man about to have his 69th birthday, tomorrow, the 14th of July 2015.

Memories from the Flemish scouts contingent
Submitted on August 4th, 2015 by Piet Robbrecht.

Jean-Luc Dehaene (appearing in a dedicated video on this website) was the contingent leader of the Flemish scouts (Dutch speaking Belgians). Later on, he became prime Minister of Belgium from 1992 till 1999. In 2002-2003 he was Vice-President of the European Convention. He passed away in 2014.

He organised our trip to Athens: by train from Brussels to Venice, than by boat to Piraeus. We travelled as deck passengers with a group of about 250 in an area normally foreseen for some 30 backpack tourists: like sardines in a box with a kind of a survival catering. One toilet and one shower for the whole group: you had to plan for your sanitary care... So the troops were complaining with Jean-Luc.

But we had a marvellous Jamboree (the Wide Game, Talent-o-Rama, for the first time we saw milk in cartons, the camp fires...). And a three days Peloponessos trip afterwards, where we enjoyed very much the hospitality of the Greek families where we stayed overnight.

For the journey home Jean-Luc had promised better conditions: we boarded three hours in advance in Patras on the ferry for Brindisi. A large deck area was foreseen and he was very proud to show us the contract with the reserved deck area. But one hour later a group of Scouts de France from Lyon boarded with the same reservation and just before leaving we had to share the area with some other 200 of our french speaking friends of Boy Scouts de Belgique! So the situation was exactly the same as on the outward voyage.

Later on, Jean-Luc Dehaene served our country and Europe as an excellent statesman.

A decisive experience.
Submitted on May 10th, 2016 by Bernard Ligneres with the French contingent.

I have very fond memories of this Jamboree which I attended with my patrol of eight scouts of Troop Beziers 2 from South of France. For me, it was the first travel abroad. Train to cross Italy, then boat from Brindisi to Pirée, then on a bus from Athens to the plain of Marathon where I arrived sick (drank ice water after eating watermelon). We were two of us in this situation and no possibility of relief on the road. I remember the Jamboree as a series of meetings with international scouts, of discoveries, of trades and meals shared with foreign troops (German, Canadians, Americans, Thais). I had my first experience of a communication in English, of badge exchanges, of belts given as gifts. I recall of the big heat, of the cold showers, of swimming at the beach with the shark net fences, carrying the replenishments and supplies in construction rubber baskets, of milk in carton bricks and water in bottles, of the visit by Crown Prince Constantine and his sister who distributed awards for our participation in the games (Silver Laurel award). The spectacle in the Olympic stadium of Athens, the farewells... And then the sightseeing: Parthenon, Cape Sounion. I have since came back four times in the beautiful and historically very rich country of Greece, to have my children discover it as well. This Jamboree for me was the revelation that the English learned in school was not just material but a great way to communicate with brothers from all countries. I am 67 years old today and this experience has been decisive for me.

First time abroad
Submitted on February 20th, 2017 by Frank McCall with the UK contingent

My first experience of flying and visiting another country. The plane had propellers and took six hours to get LHR to Athens. The Epathlon Daphnis I was awarded is still in the family and I have the badge sans fastening. Our troop visited northern Greece and I recall sleeping on classroom floors at schools. An amazing and privileged trip.

Weather was too cold for some participants
Submitted on March 2nd, 2017 by Alphonsus Daniel Eke, Press representative for the Nigerian Government

I was an official representative (press) for my Government (Nigeria). It was my first time in Greece. Coming from Nigeria, the weather in Marathon was very cold for me but I had the time of my life as a young reporter, exchanging photographs with other representatives from other countries. I was a 27 year old undergraduate from the then prestigious university University Of Nigeria Nsukk.

Now I am a grandfather enjoying my retirement in my Village OKOLOCHI in the Eastern part of Nigeria.

A collection of best memories from Marathon
Submitted on September 18th, 2017 by Alan Jamieson with the Canadian contingent

I enjoyed the opening and closing ceremonies and working on the laurel award. I discovered a lot of new cultures and cuisines. I still remember being the guest of a Swiss patrol which offered me cheese fondu which I have liked ever since. I was part of the Canadian Contingent that travelled from Canadian military bases in Germany and France by rail through Yugoslavia to Greece. We just missed a major earthquake in Skopje which occurred a few days before we arrived. The train trio was hot and rough so we were pleased by the welcome we received once we reached Athens and Marathon. The bus tour of the Greece provided after the jamboree ended will always stay in my memories. The people were friendly and generous.

A unique testimony from the bearer of the bad news
Submitted on October 14th, 2017 by Costas Veloudakis, Scoutmaster and member of the Organizing Committee

During the months before the Jamboree I was participating in the organizing committee; when a couple days before the opening there was an aircraft accident where a number of brother scouts from the Far East were involved. There was no way, at the time, to get word to the rest of the contingency in Marathon who had arrived the day before, as the telephone lines were still being tested. As I was the only person without duty at the time I was given a motorcycle and asked to drive to Marathon and advise the contingency; which I did. The 30 odd miles there were the most trying for me as I was the bearer of bad news. Those moments have been with me ever since. I wish all brother scouts all the best. Costas Veloudakis. Scout master in 1963.

Scout in one of the smallest contingents
Submitted on March 18th, 2018 by Bernard Storace with the Maltese contingent

The Malta contingent was one of the smallest, if not the smallest with seven representatives. Our accomodation for the duration were a number of hike tents, rather cramped especially as we shared. Still, the overall experience was a most memorable one and a good time was had by all.

An amazing experience
Submitted on December 19th, 2018 by Colin Knight with the UK contingent

I was 15 and the youngest of the Middlesex Troop of 4 patrols. My home troop, 6th Eastcote, had kindly raised the cost of the trip (£80 I recall). It was my first trip abroad and when we stepped off the plane at Athens it was like walking into an oven! Our camp was well organised and scouts from all over the world were very friendly and we enjoyed the hospitality of the Greeks. The local tourist village on Marathon Bay sold Fix beer and tourist items, some of which I still have. I enjoyed snorkelling in the bay where I saw an octopus. There was a shark net across the bay and I seem to remember the Greek airforce arriving when there were reports of shark fins! The long bread loaves were so hard we had a scout holding each end and another stood on the loaf without it collapsing. I obtained the Epathlon Dafnis medal which our troop leader said we could wear at home. The wind was strong and our troop flag was threadbare by the end of the Jamboree. We visited Athens afterwards, watched Summer Holiday at an open air cinema with the Parthenon shown on the screen and to the left the real building lit up at night. We camped in a schoolyard at Piraeus then boarded a ship and travelled deck class on a tour of islands before arriving at Rhodes. I watched dolphins enjoying the bow wave. The boat stopped at various islands where locals boarded with their goats. At Rhodes we went on a tour up a mountain to visit the Valley of the Butterflies where a guide whistled and millions of Jersey Tiger moths rose into the air. The Jamboree was an amazing experience which I’ll never forget.

Memories that still stand out, more than fifty years later.
Submitted on May 5th, 2019 by George Hay Kain III with the US/Region 3 contingent

Two weeks or so shy of my 15th birthday, I had the privilege of attending the 11th World Jamboree in Marathon, Greece, August 1-10, 1963, as a member of the United States Contingent from the Northeast Region of the Boy Scouts of America. I remember the jamboree area as very hot, dry, flat, dusty, and quite windy. In fact, the wind blew embers from one of our cooking fires into one of our tents and set it on fire. (The two Scouts whose tent was destroyed bunked in with the rest of us and life went on).

More than fifty years later, my memories of much of the Jamboree are a little hazy, but a few do still stand out. First is that at the Jamboree I met Queen’s Scout Wayne Bowman from New Zealand with whom I had engaged in a pen-pal correspondence for a few months beforehand. This friendship continued after the Jamboree, and I had the good fortune to visit with him in his home in New Zealand several years later.

A second memory is that the official Jamboree badge is a metal shield rather than a cloth patch, and each participant was issued one and only one Jamboree badge. I was troubled by the fact that I had promised the Scouter back home who had set me up with the New Zealand pen-pal to bring him back a Jamboree badge. I certainly wasn’t about to give him my own personal badge, but I agonized over how to obtain a second one for him. My troubles were finally resolved by the Gillette Razor Company, who had given each American Boy Scout attending the Jamboree a very nice Gillette razor travel kit with razor and blades in a plastic carrying case. I was able to trade my razor kit with another Scout from an unknown foreign country for an extra Jamboree badge of dubious provenance. It was definitely an official badge, however with the Hugenheim stamping on the back. Given that I didn’t yet shave, I considered myself lucky to have so easily solved my dilemma.

My supreme memory involved chance and good luck. One day the word came down that His Royal Highness, Crown Prince Constantine, the Chief Scout of Greece, was going to visit one of the four Boy Scouts of America contingent sites. All my buddies figured that the chance of his visiting our site was 25% or less, so they all went off down the midway to buy sodas. I was absolutely the only American Boy Scout left in our site. Suddenly, a beautiful dark green Mercedes convertible with tan leather upholstery drove up to the entrance to our site, and a very handsome 23-year old young man in an impeccable Scout uniform got out and walked into our site. Our Scoutmaster, realizing that this was the Crown Prince, the Chief Scout of Greece, was flustered because he only had one Scout in the site at the time (me). He prodded me forward toward the Crown Prince and whispered in my ear, “Do something appropriate.” Having no time to prepare, and not being used to meeting royalty on short notice or otherwise, my mind quickly overheated trying to think how to react. Luckily, I just happened to have in my pocket a small Boy Scouts of America lapel pin, smaller than the size of a penny. As the Crown Prince approached me, I rendered a snappy Scout salute and reached out my other hand to offer him the Scout pin. Grasping for appropriate words, I stammered something like, “I’d like to give this to you, Sir, for … for … for all you have done for Scouting.” Lame on my part. He, however, accepted the pin and returned my Scout salute. I thought that would be the end of my fifteen seconds of fame. All was not over, however. The Crown Prince then extended his left hand (as Scouts traditionally do) and shook my left hand. I have never shaken hands with royalty before or ever since then, but you can be sure it was a long time before I washed that hand again.

I have always had a warm spot in my heart for Crown Prince Constantine, later His Majesty King Constantine of the Hellenes. I remember him as being very handsome in his uniform, how his uniform was perfectly tailored and absolutely immaculate, and how gracious he was to shake the hand of a mere fourteen-year-old Boy Scout from Emigsville, Pennsylvania, U.S.A. I was quite sorry when Greek political troubles cost him his throne some years later, but I always sensed he was a very decent human being whose heart was Scout-like and in the right place, regardless of politics.

I also have two other royal memories of the Jamboree. I distinctly remember marching as part of the entire 14,000 jamboree contingent past Prince Constantine and his father, King Paul, in a grand parade.

My other royal memory is of a letter. At my father’s urging, prior to the Jamboree I wrote a letter to Queen Fredricka, Prince Constantine’s mother and wife of King Paul, announcing that I was coming to the Jamboree and stating how I was greatly looking forward to seeing Greece given than I had just completed a course in Ancient Greek History at my prep school. I figured that would be the end of it, so many days later when I received an envelope in the mail with a return address of “La Maison de la Reine”, I carelessly began to open it. My mother instantly recognized the importance of the envelope and caused me instead to open it very carefully. It contained a reply from the Lady in Waiting to the Queen and at her command thanking me for my letter and wishing me a pleasant stay in Greece. I still have that letter among my treasured possessions to this day along with my metal Jamboree badge and my Epathlon Dafnis (Laurel) award.

My final special memory of the Jamboree involved the closing ceremony. That evening a large group of Belgian Boy Scouts put on a drumming demonstration as part of the ceremony. It took me back in my mind to movies I had seen of Hitler Jugend drummers performing before the War. The Belgian Scout drummers were not intending to be political – but they were very good. I couldn’t help thinking how the sounds of similar drums in the torch-lit night helped cause a generation of German boys then my age to go down a very dark road only twenty-five or so years earlier.

The highlight of the closing ceremony involved an address by Olave, Lady Baden-Powell, widow of the founder of Scouting. The substance of her remarks was, “Welcome – Well Done – Well Go”. Her phrasing has remained with me to this day and now, over half-a-century later, I am still active in the Scouting movement. I have done my best to “Well Go” and help bring the benefits of Scouting to subsequent generations of young people.

George Hay Kain, III – Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America

An experience of a lifetime
Submitted on July 27th, 2022 by Sören Alverfeldt with the Swedish contingent

There was a fairly large squad from Sweden that participated in the Jamboree in 1963. From my hometown there were three of us, me – Sören Alverfeldt - and another senior scout - Jan Mellander – in the company with a leader - Göran Sundström.

I was 15 years old and it turned out to be a great adventure and an experience of a lifetime.

The Swedes gathered one day in the city of Malmö in southern Sweden, at its airfield at that time Bulltofta, and spent the night in one of the hangars. The following day we went by ferry to Copenhagen from where we took a specially chartered train south. We traveled through Germany and Austria and on to Italy via the Brenner Pass

In Rome we stayed one night and took the opportunity to visit Saint Peter's Church, the Collosseum, the Roman Forum and more before continuing south to the city of Brindisi. From there we boarded a cargo boat that would take us to Greece. We spent the night on deck under an open sky. In Piraeus we were met by a large number of buses that transported us all the way to the Marathon and the site of the Jamboree.

It was a great camp site with several different blocks and we were split up in smaller units. Me and my friends from home were placed in one of the subcamps called Hippothondis and there we would spend many lovely and interesting days. We had the opportunity to meet many scouts from other countries with whom we swapped souvenirs and shared our various experiences of life.

I remember that Crown Prince Konstantin inaugurated the jamboree and also that the space capsule Sigma 7 that Walter Schirra had used for his space tour had a place in the city of the campgrounds. Next to the camp area there was a pine forest and if you passed through it you came to a fantastic beach in Marathon Bay and there were some nice swims in the Aegean Sea.

During the camp, we Swedes made a few excursions and visited, among other things, Delphi for a full day which was very interesting and we were also in Athens to see the Acropolis, the ancient Olympic Stadium and several other famous places.

When the Jamboree was over, we went by boat to Crete and stayed there for a couple of days to visit Knossos and some other places. We finally flew home to Sweden - that alone was a great experience for a 15-year-old at this time.

From the time we started the adventure in Malmö, we had been away for 3 weeks and even though it has now been almost 60 years since then, the good memories of this happy period of my life still are alive.

July 2022

Sören Alverfeldt

Left the camp through a hole in the fence!
Submitted on April 23rd, 2023 by Randolph Starr, Scouter with the US contingent

I left the camp through a hole in the security fence to visit the Navy base next door to use its ham radio. I met my lifelong friend from Denmark, Peter Zeuthen.

Were you there?
Please use the form below to enter your name and details, to be included in the "I Was There!" list of people (see below) who attended the 11th World Scout Jamboree.

You can also use the message box to enter your own Story from Marathon; it will be processed to appear on this page.

A red asterisk indicates a required field.

I Was There!

Below are people confirmed or registered with marathon1963.com as having participated in the 11th World Scout Jamboree.
Enter the list by filling the form above.

# Name Role Country Sub-Camp
1 Crown Prince Constantine Chief Scout of Greece Greece  
2 P. Kalogeropoulos Organizing Committee Chairman Greece  
3 Dimitrios "Rann" Alexatos Camp Chief Greece  
4 Dimitrios Macridis Deputy Camp Chief Greece  
5 Antonio C. Delgado Deputy Camp Chief Philippines  
6 D.C. Spry (Director, World Bureau) Hon. Organizing Commissioner Great Britain  
7 Nestor Constantoulis Organizing Commissioner Greece  
8 Godofredo Neric Deputy Organizing Commissioner Philippines  
9 Colonel J.S. Wilson Special Consultant Great Britain  
10 John Thurman (Camp Chief, Gilwell Park) Special Consultant Great Britain  
11 Ken Stevens Special Consultant Great Britain  
12 V.P. Walker Editor, Marathon Courier    
13 Jamini Sarkar Commandant, International Emergency Service Troop India  
14 Raymond Armstrong Group Leader, Emergency Service Troop Cyprus  
15 Klaus Radicke Group Leader, Emergency Service Troop Liechtenstein  
16 Eric Lockett Group Leader, Emergency Service Troop Australia  
17 S. O. A. Ajana Group Leader, Emergency Service Troop Nigeria  
18. Graeme G’william Group Leader, Emergency Service Troop Australia  
19 Geoffrey Hughes Group Leader, Emergency Service Troop U.K.  
20. Andreas Gregoriou Group Leader, Emergency Service Troop Cyprus  
21 Kevin Donald Group Leader, Emergency Service Troop Australia  
22. John Heywood Group Leader, Emergency Service Troop U.K.  
23 Sheila Hiom Group Leader, Emergency Service Troop U.K.  
24. John Driver Group Leader, Emergency Service Troop Australia  
25 Keneth Francis Group Leader, Emergency Service Troop Australia  
26. Brian Allan Gray Group Leader, Emergency Service Troop Australia  
27 Robert Owen Group Leader, Emergency Service Troop Australia  
28. Col. Martin Group Leader, Emergency Service Troop U.K.  
29 James Economides Group Leader, Emergency Service Troop Greece  
30. Miss Molly Stevens Group Leader, Emergency Service Troop U.K.  
31 C. Courmoulis Head, Dept. of Camp Administration Greece  
32. C. Naoumidis Head, Dept. of Physical Arrangements Greece  
33 Th. Sotiriou Head, Dept. of Finance Greece  
34. C. Meraclis Head, Dept. of Equipment & Supplies Greece  
35 A. Tsimetas Head, Dept. of Programme Greece  
36. A. Papadakis Head, Dept. of Transports & Movements Greece  
37 L. Skyrianidis Head, Dept. of Internationl Relations Greece  
38. A. Salvaras Head, Dept. of Hospitality & Extended Stay Greece  
39 M. Pavlidis Head, Dept. of Press & Public Relations Greece  
40. Th. Katsakos Head, Dept. of Medics & Public Health Greece  
41. J.W.H. Miner Sub-Camp Chief, Aeantis Canada  
42. G. Stavrinos Deputy Sub-Camp Chief, Aeantis Greece  
43 N. Engberg Sub-Camp Chief, Aegeis Denmark  
44 M. Nicolopoulos Deputy Sub-Camp Chief, Aegeis Greece  
45 Dr. G. Reddingius Sub-Camp Chief, Akamantis Holland  
46 M. Tsilimas Deputy Sub-Camp Chief, Akamantis Greece  
47 J.P.A. Silveste Sub-Camp Chief, Antiochis Philippines  
48. P. Petropoulos Deputy Sub-Camp Chief, Antiochis Greece  
49 Dr. R. Tremil Sub-Camp Chief, Cecropis Austria  
50 C. Canetis Deputy Sub-Camp Chief, Cecropis Greece  
51 H.R. Hall Sub-Camp Chief, Erechtheis Great Britain  
52 A. Chryssafis Deputy Sub-Camp Chief, Erechtheis Greece  
53 S. Arthur Sub-Camp Chief, Hippothondis Great Britain  
54 L. Florentis Deputy Sub-Camp Chief, Hippothondis Greece  
55 O. Szymiczek Sub-Camp Chief, Leontis Hungary  
56 Chr. Livas Deputy Sub-Camp Chief, Leontis Greece  
57 E. Bourdet Sub-Camp Chief, Oineis France  
58 C. Frangoulis Deputy Sub-Camp Chief, Oineis Greece  
59 J. W. Fowles Sub-Camp Chief, Pandionis Hungary  
60 A. Haralambous Deputy Sub-Camp Chief, Pandionis Greece  
61 J. Lioufis Sub-Camp Chief, Plataea Greece  
62 N. Carassoulis Deputy Sub-Camp Chief, Plataea Greece  
63 A. Lenos Staff Sub-Camp Chief, Hermion Greece  
64 D. Marcoulis Staff Sub-Camp Chief, Olympus Greece  
65 Mrs. P. Skyrianides Female Staff Sub-Camp Chief, Nereids Greece  
66 J. Fisher Contingent Leader Aden  
67 K. Medzadourian Contingent Leader Armenian Scouts  
68 A.J. Schatzl Contingent Leader Austalia  
69 Hans Schatzl Contingent Leader Austria  
70 Frank Kay Contingent Leader Barbados  
71 Jacob I.B. Sekgwa Contingent Leader Bechuanaland  
72 C. Schmit Contingent Leader Belgium  
73 A.J. Swift Contingent Leader Bermuda  
74 D. Shellard Contingent Leader Brazil  
75 L. Thompson Contingent Leader British Guiana  
76 Abu Baker Othman Contingent Leader Brunei  
77 Joseph Ngendahimana Contingent Leader Burundi  
78 I.H. Nicholson Contingent Leader Canada  
79 M. Edouard Methot Contingent Leader Central African Republic  
80 E.W. Kannangara Contingent Leader Ceylon  
81 Lu-Chi-Hwa Contingent Leader China Formosa  
82 G. Bwilama Contingent Leader Congo Leopoldville  
83 Rico Uffelman Piel Contingent Leader Costa Rica  
84 Dimitris Dimitriou Contingent Leader Cyprus  
85 Aphonse Fauben Contingent Leader Cameroons  
86 Samuel Attegbo Contingent Leader Dahomey  
87 J.B. Skotte Hensen Contingent Leader Denmark  
88 Gilbert Gonzalez Ulloa Contingent Leader El Salvador  
89 Ake Romantschuk Contingent Leader Finland  
90 Jean Esteve Contingent Leader France  
91 F. Kronenburg Contingent Leader Germany  
92 Jose Ruiz Lainfiesta Contingent Leader Guatemala  
93 Gregory Hasapis Contingent Leader Greece  
94 K. A. Fisher Contingent Leader Haiti  
95 Chamson Chau Contingent Leader Hong Kong  
96 Ottar Oktosson Contingent Leader Iceland  
97 Jamini Sarkar Contingent Leader India  
98 Dr. Hossein Banai Contingent Leader Iran  
99 R.G. Tenant Contingent Leader Ireland  
100 Yehuda Barkai Contingent Leader Israel  
101 Gino Armeni Contingent Leader Italy, ASCI  
102 Gualtiere Iesurum Contingent Leader Italy, CNGFI  
103 Aka N’Wozan Contingent Leader Ivory Coast  
104 I. E. Jones Contingent Leader Jamaica  
105 Dr. Hidesaburo Kurushima Contingent Leader Japan  
106 Munir Omar Balkar Contingent Leader Jordan  
107 H.S. Bahra Contingent Leader Kenya  
108 Thamir I.Sayyar Contingent Leader Kuwait  
109 Chao Singh Saysanom Contingent Leader Laos  
110 Aboushakra Contingent Leader Lebanon  
111 Teher Tomi Contingent Leader Libya  
112 H.S.H. Prince Emanuel Contingent Leader Liechtenstein  
113 Jean Welter Contingent Leader Luxembourg  
114 J.A.R. Wellington Contingent Leader Malaya  
115 John Camenzuli Contingent Leader Malta  
116 R.V. Megana Contingent Leader Mexico  
117 Jean Pelacchi Contingent Leader Monaco  
118 Odon Rafenoarisoa Contingent Leader Malagasy Republic  
119 J.C. Versteeg Contingent Leader Netherlands  
120 G.A.T. Rhodes Contingent Leader New Zealand  
121 G. des Bordes Contingent Leader Nigeria  
122 Odd Hopp Contingent Leader Norway  
123 M.S. Alain Contingent Leader Pakistan  
124 Nicasio Fernandez Contingent Leader Philippines  
125 Teodore Chavez Contingent Leader Peru  
126 Rev.Fr.A.Ferreira Alvez Contingent Leader Portugal  
127 E.Barnes Contingent Leader Rhodesia North  
128 L.A. Davy Contingent Leader Rhodesia South  
129 A. Sidawy Contingent Leader Saudi Arabia  
130 Malick Dior Contingent Leader Senegal  
131 Bernard Fernandez Contingent Leader Singapore  
132 J.D. Draser Contingent Leader South Africa  
133 Manuel Subira Contingent Leader Spain  
134 Said Mohamed Nur Contingent Leader Sudan  
135 Guno Elskamp Contingent Leader Suriname  
136 Bengt Ahlstrom Contingent Leader Sweden  
137 Dr. Paul Vork Contingent Leader Switzerland  
138 Manwaffac-El-Shara Contingent Leader Syria  
139 Gem Hazel Contingent Leader St. Vincent Island  
140 H.W. Farrell Contingent Leader Trinidad & Tobago  
141 Mahmoud Trigui Contingent Leader Tunisia  
142 Aziz Ozcelik Contingent Leader Turkey  
143 H.Ali Abdul Aziz Contingent Leader United Arab Rebublic  
144 B.A. Chacksfield Contingent Leader Great Britain  
145 Joseph A. Brunton Jr. Contingent Leader USA  
146 Francisco J.Tugues Contingent Leader Venezuela  
147 Nesser A. Lamki Contingent Leader Zanzibar  
148 Andy Murphy International Staff, Talent-O-Rama USA  
149 Dale Chronic International Staff, Talent-O-Rama USA  
150 Bob Kilmer International Staff, Talent-O-Rama USA  
151 Dean Robert Lycas Eagle Scout USA (Transatlantic Council, Germany) Cecropis
152 Tucker Lee Melancon Scout USA  
153 Ernest W. Armstrong Eagle Scout USA Cecropis
154 George Dassios King's Scout Greece Hippothondis
155 Kyriacos Cameris Staff, Emergency Service Troop Cyprus
156 Christos Petreas Staff Greece
157 Pantelis Gaganis Scout Greece Cecropis
158 George Glarakis Staff Greece Cecropis
159 Colin Denton Scout England
160 Aurelio Tasca Scout Italy
161 Giovanni Tibaldeschi Scout Italy
162 Alvise Simonato  Scout Italy Erechtheis 
163 Robert N. Clay Scout USA
164 James Downie Scout Scotland
165 Hans-Reiner Schmidt Scout Germany
166 Peter Kent Dolezal Scout USA
167 Rolf Radicke Scout Liechtenstein
168 Peter Zeuthen Scout Denmark Akamantis
169 Donald Lavers Scout Canada Antiochis
170 Bob Norton Scout Canada
171 Georges Prebandier Scouter/Leader Switzerland Cecropis
172 David Hett Scout Canada Plataea
173 Niels Sorensen Scout Denmark
174 Anthony Tidman Scout United Kingdom
175 Jean Pelacchi Scouter/Leader Principality of Monaco Aeantis
176 William Rawlings Scouter USA
177 Alan Cole Scout United Kingdom
178 Dr Peter Elliott MBE Scout United Kingdom Oineis
179 Ray Mankelow Scout New Zealand
180 David Robie Scout Aotearoa/New Zealand
181 Reniers Hugues Scout South Africa
182 Malcolm Cooper Scout New Zealand
183 Pierclaudio Zavalloni Scout Italia Akamantis
184 Nikolaos Anastasiades Scout Greece Oineis
185 Louis John Angelos Scout USA
186 Gordon Jones Scout Wales, UK
187 David Boyd Patrol Leader Canada
188 Peter Hertzmann Scout USA
189 Robbrecht Piet Scout Belgium Erechtheis
190 Tadao Fujimori Scout Japan Leontis
191 David Morris Scout England
192 Robert Kiek Scout Belgium
193 Jean Thys Scouter/Leader Belgium
194 Duff Johnson Scout USA
195 Efstratios Anasontzis Scout Greece (Greek Scouts of Cairo) Plataea /site 22
196 Andrew Yarrow Scout UK Aegis /site 24
197 Joseph (Joe) Davis Scout USA
198 David Anthony Kitson Scout UK Central Yorkshire and Shropshire Aegis
199 Bernard Ligneres Scout France
200 Michael Woodhead Scout Canada (European council) Akamantis
201 Peter Smulders Scout Netherlands
202 Pieder Cabalzar Scout Switzerland
203 James Harry Ramsden Scout United Kingdom
204 Owen Hylton Scout Jamaica
205 Dimitrios Papalambrou Scout Greece Hippothontis
206 Frank McCall Scout United Kingdom
207 Alphonsus Daniel Eke Civil/Non-Scout Staff Nigeria
208 Anthony Sparkes Scout United Kingdom, Devon Cecropis
209 Kaj Jessen Scouter/Leader Denmark
210 Torben Siersbaek Scout Denmark Akamantis
211 Ole Bang Nielsen Scout Denmark
212 Jean-Xavier Francart Scout Belgium Hippothondis
213 Gregory Foster Scout USA Erechtheis
214 Robert (Bobby) Robuchon Scout France
215 Gord Robinson Scout Canada Akamantis
216 Alan Jamieson Scout Canada Hippothondis
217 Costas Veloudakis Scouter/Leader Greece
218 Peter Hinton Scouter/Leader Great Britain
219 Nikolaos Inglessis Scout Greece Leontis
220 Ron Martin Scout Canada Akamantis
221 Bernard Storace Scout Malta
222 Philippe Jean Louis Scout France
223 Ronald L Adolphi Scout USA
224 Sigbert Helle Scout West Germany Antiochis
225 Colin Knight Scout United Kingdom Antiochis
226 Garry Gohlke Scout USA
227 Donald Warner Scout Canada Cecropis
228 George Hay Kain, III Scout USA Aegeis
229 Georges Malaise Scout Belgium Hippotondis
230 Willy Longueville Scouter/Leader France Erechtheis
231 Teemu Helin Scout Finland Cecropis
232 Ligneres Bernard Scout France Oineis
233 Hans Helmes Scout Nederland
234 John Schoemaker Scout Nederland
235 Sören Alverfeldt Scout Sweden Hippothondis
236 Royce J Treasure Scout England
237 Niels Møller Scout Denmark Cecropis
238 David John, Bunford Scout United Kingdom Hippothondis
239 Randolph Starr Scouter/Leader USA
240 Ian Douglas Hamilton Scout United Kingdom Hippothondis
241 Louis Angelos Scout USA
242 Louis Du Cap Scout Canada
243 Campbell McCubbin Scout Canada

Marathon Courier
Marathon1963.com was constructed during the period January-July 2013, on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the 11th World Jamboree. It opened on August 1st, 2013, exactly 50 years from the opening at Marathon.
Hand-crafted from original material by the makers of the 1996 official tribute on proskopos.com. Dedicated to the 2nd Scout Troop of Patras, Greece.
Marathon Courier

© Copyright 2013, marathon1963.com & proskopos.com. All rights reserved.
No part of the material contained in this website (images, texts, artwork) may be used or reproduced without
written permission or invitation by the publisher. Request permission to use or reproduce material.